Chattanooga Theft Attorney
Experienced Defense Against Theft Charges in Tennessee & Georgia
A charge involving the crime of theft can have far-reaching consequences. In addition to possible criminal penalties, your reputation may be damaged, impacting many aspects of your life. When this much is at stake, you must seek help from a skilled Chattanooga criminal defense lawyer who can help protect your rights and future.
At the Law Offices of Meredith Mochel, we are dedicated to helping people in Tennessee and Georgia builds a strong defense against theft charges.
Are you facing theft charges in Tennessee? Call the Law Offices of Meredith Mochel today at (423) 250-1499 or contact us online to schedule a meeting with our theft lawyer in Chattanooga!
Theft Charges We Defend Against
Our Chattanooga theft lawyers represent people who have been charged with all types of theft crimes, including:
What are the Penalties for Theft in Tennessee?
The penalties for theft in Tennessee depend on the Property's value and the circumstances surrounding the theft. Tennessee law defines theft as the intentional taking of another person's property without their consent, intending to deprive them of the Property permanently or for an extended period.
Here are the penalties for theft in Tennessee based on the value of the stolen Property:
- Theft of Property Valued at Less Than $1,000: If the stolen Property is valued at less than $1,000, it is considered a misdemeanor offense. The penalties for a misdemeanor theft charge include up to one year in jail and/or a fine of up to $2,500.
- Theft of Property Valued at $1,000 or More: If the stolen Property is valued at $1,000 or more, it is considered a felony offense. The penalties for a felony theft charge depend on the value of the stolen Property:
- Theft of Property valued at $1,000 or more but less than $2,500 is a Class E felony, punishable by one to six years in prison and/or a fine of up to $3,000.
- Theft of Property valued at $2,500 or more but less than $10,000 is a Class D felony, punishable by two to 12 years in prison and/or a fine of up to $5,000.
- Theft of Property valued at $10,000 or more but less than $60,000 is a Class C felony, punishable by three to 15 years in prison and/or a fine of up to $10,000.
- Theft of Property valued at $60,000 or more is a Class B felony, punishable by eight to 30 years in prison and/or a fine of up to $25,000.
- Other Factors: The penalties for theft may be enhanced if certain aggravating factors are present, such as theft from an elderly or disabled person or theft committed with a deadly weapon.
The consequences of a theft-related crime can be severe. If you have a past conviction, even for a misdemeanor theft crime such as shoplifting, you face the possibility of a felony charge, which can result in a lengthy prison sentence. Regardless of the charges you are facing, our theft attorneys in Chattanooga will fight to help get your charges dismissed or reduced. In every case, we provide you with personalized representation and will guide you through your case one step at a time, making ourselves available to answer your questions and to address your concerns as they arise.
Contact Our Chattanooga Theft Lawyer Today
For individuals facing theft charges in Tennessee, consulting with an experienced criminal defense attorney is important. An attorney will work with you to build a strong case for your defense to protect your rights and avoid potentially severe penalties associated with a conviction. Our Chattanooga theft crime lawyers are dedicated to helping our clients fight for justice and obtaining the best possible outcome for each individual's circumstances.
Contact the Law Offices of Meredith Mochel today to schedule a FREE consultation with our theft attorney in Chattanooga!